A grass airfield, it was opened in 1925 with summer camps lasting from May until September each year. It was used in 1926 by aircraft towing gunnery targets for the anti-aircraft training range off Watchet. When the second World War loomed, the site was permanently occupied and in 1942 the Air Ministry decided to upgrade the airfield to bomber standard. In early 1943, work began on laying concrete runways and a perimeter track to the Class A airfield standard the main feature of which was a set of three concrete runways, at 60 degrees to each other in a triangular pattern. To obtain the necessary amount of land for siting runways of sufficient length, the A372 to Othery was closed and diverted south on a former minor road. The main runway was 5,775 ft long and the other two were 3,564 ft long and 4,101 ft long. Historic England states how imitation field boundaries were painted over the centre of the airfield in order to camouflage the airfield from the air.
RAF Weston Zoyland as it was known to the RAF, is one of the country’s oldest airfields being established in the early 1920s.
Repurposed Now To Be The Home Ground of Middlezoy Rovers
Established in 1973, Middlezoy Rovers host a range of sides:
Men’s 1sts – Western Football League – Division 1
Men’s 2nd – Somerset County League – Division 1.
Men’s 3rds – Taunton &District Saturday League – Division 2.
Men’s Legends – Somerset FA Legends League.
Ladies 1st – Southwest Region Women’s League – Eastern Division.
Juniors U5s – Taunton & District Youth Leagues.